Codeine syrup habit: Nigerian arrested after BBC expose
A former Nigerian prescribed drugs govt who was implicated in a BBC investigation into the unlawful sale of addictive opioids has been arrested.
Chukwunonye Madubuike was detained west of Lagos, near the border with Benin, police mentioned.
He went on the run in Could after he was filmed illegally promoting codeine syrup to an undercover BBC reporter.
Police mentioned he advised them he thought he was promoting to a real businessman and regretted not checking his ID.
- Africa Reside: Extra on this and different tales
- The cough syrup making a era of addicts
- The way to halt a cough-syrup habit
The BBC documentary uncovered the extent of habit to the codeine-based cough combination amongst Nigeria's youth.
Codeine is a painkiller, which is extremely addictive and if taken to extra could cause organ failure and set off schizophrenia.
The Africa Eye movie additionally uncovered the black market observe of promoting the drugs to individuals and not using a physician's prescription or a pharmaceutical licence.
Chukwunonye Madubuike was a enterprise improvement govt with Emzor prescribed drugs, who sacked him after the movie was aired.
Lagos State Commissioner of Police Imohimi Edgal mentioned the arrest was made within the border city of Idiroko in Ogun State. He had been heading to Cotonou in Benin.
He mentioned Emzor had reported Mr Madubuike in Could on suspicion of getting "knowingly provided the managed medicine to individuals who weren’t alleged to have entry to them opposite to" Nigerian legislation.
Mr Edgal went on to say Mr Madubuike, in his assertion, mentioned he was "was solely attempting to satisfy his gross sales goal", acknowledged he ought to have carried out better checks to confirm the id of the particular person he was coping with and "regretted promoting managed substances to unauthorised individuals".
Because the documentary was aired, greater than 2.four million codeine syrup bottles have been recalled and quite a lot of pharmacists and small-time sellers have been arrested. A whole lot of individuals turned as much as public screenings of the documentary, and it has helped elevate consciousness of the issue in different African international locations.
Codeine cough syrup – the size of the issue
- Codeine is a ache killer but in addition an addictive opioid. Taken in extra, it may possibly trigger schizophrenia and organ failure
- Codeine syrup is often blended with gentle drinks and infrequently consumed by college students
- The codeine is imported, however the syrup is made in Nigeria by greater than 20 pharmaceutical corporations
- Nigeria's drug enforcement company is combating this epidemic. In a latest raid, it seized 24,000 bottles of codeine syrup from a single lorry in Katsina
- Codeine syrup habit is an issue throughout Africa, with studies of habit in Kenya, Ghana, Niger, and Chad
- In 2016, India banned a number of manufacturers of codeine cough syrup following studies of addition